PETRAEUS RESIGNS (UPDATED *AGAIN*)

HOLY SHIT.

Who will replace him? Is this payback for Benghazi? I wonder if this is the start of a real ugly cabinet-level blood-letting.

VFRMarine sent this link too, with what I believe is the text of the letter.

UPDATE: Here she is– Paula Broadwell, his biographer!

More:

The biographer for resigning CIA Director David Petraeus is under FBI investigation for improperly trying to access his email and possibly gaining access to classified information, law enforcement officials told NBC News on Friday.

I’m sure there will be lots more.

Indeed there is:

Official tells me sevrl people who knew Petraeus got anonymous harassing emails. So investigation started. Emails then traced to Broadwell.

That thang has struck again. It brings the strong man to his knees, and makes the General like a Private. It is the most sought-after commodity in human history, irresistible and yet perversely, as the Greaseman has observed, it is the deadliest predator that has ever walked the face of the Earth– ruthless, insatiable, cunning, devious, inexorable.

As one of my Aussie compatriots from Camp Eggers once observed with a knowing and weary tone to his voice: “Women, mate… If they didn’t have [vaginas] we’d throw rocks at ‘em!”

Comments

1. VFRMarine says:

This is an extremely interesting development. The liberal echo chamber accuses the conservatives of manufacturing conspiracy theories about General Petraeus' anticipated testimony about Benghazi before a closed-door Congressional inquiry. The conservative echo chamber is tying this resignation to the upcoming departures of the Secretaries of State and Treasury and likely, the Attorney General. Turnover is normal in almost every re-election, so I'm not entirely sure if there is anything is strange about these departures.

However, the General's resignation is quite a surprise, particularly because having an affair in DC, especially by a 4 star, is not news. Politicians have affairs all the time (e.g. Clinton, Edwards, etc.). As many of us have commented in the past, there seems to be a different set of rules for those who attain the heavier weight on their collars.

So, here is where the junior officer investigation method should come in and ask the simple questions.

1) Who was the woman?

2) Over what period of time did the affair occur?

3) Where in the US did the affair occur?

4) Are there any witnesses to the affair?

5) Is there any evidence (receipts, invoices, telephone records, etc) that substantiate the meetings?

Forget the "why" or "motive" – let's just attempt to look at the facts, if they are ever released.

2. Callie says:

I hope he didn't resign because of the affair. Who cares what he does in his personal life, he is an awesome leader. Thats what matters!

3. Michael L. Soares says:

What is the problem? Gen Eisenhower who threw Gen Marshall under the proverbial bus during the McCarthy hearings – had well known trist with Kay Sommersby. we all accepted this …. because our fellow American elected Ike twice….just think if Clinton were President Petreous would get a 5th Star.

4. townie 76 says:

I will write more about this later. My only comment–this is so startling that someone in Washington did the honorable thing without being hounded by the press. I have know Dave Petraeus since we were both Captains at Fort Stewart in the late seventies, clearly he has done better than I. He has always been driven, but always honorable in his dealing.

• LTCOL P says:

"This is so startling that someone in Washington did the honorable thing without being hounded by the press."

Amen on that.

Colin Powell was recently floating his resume.

As for all of this, who benefits?

Petraeus could have resigned without a word. The administration could have blackmailed him into keeping silent. But the general didn't do that, and the administration couldn't hold him back.

What is Petraeus's exact military status as of today? Still a General? Or is he retired?

6. Cajunprofessor says:

Does anyone think the 7 November strikes on Yemen had something to do with the timing of this announcement, i.e., explains why it was held from the public until now?

7. Wild Goose says:

Extremely disappointed. What the hell was he thinking?!

Still, at least he admitted his fault and left. I've heard that soldiers called him King David… That's ironic, since adultery also led to David's downfall.

8. Maj W says:

Apparently, Gen Allen may be the newest member of the GO Hijinks Club….

9. Matt says:

If General Petraeus had been honorable, and done the honorable thing, he would not of had the affair in the first place.

However, I would suggest that Petraeus resigned before the information could be used as leverage against him by those in the administration or fellow travelers. Withdrawal to deny the enemy a valuable resource.

10. John Minehan says:

LtCol P: real enlightened.

• LTCOL P says:

Which? The original posts and updates, or my sometimes sophomoric comments?

Honestly, I'm quite upset about the whole thing. I looked up to Gen Petraeus as a fine soldier and leader, a steady hand, and who had a rare solid grasp of the situation. We are all much the worse off without his services.

11. Slater says:

I'd recall his ass to active duty and strip him of stars.

Also, she's still a LTC in the reserves…send her to jail too. Another thing, she's a Trou as many of my West Point Colleagues call the females that attend. But seriously he was COL when she was a senior at the Point.

• DaveO says:

If he did the deed after retirement, let him go. She, on the other hand, should get the same punishment reserved for all West Pointers who've been caught in adultery.