I’m Sure Her Esteemed Alma Mater Is Very Proud of Her

Talk about losing sight of the objective.

She took a slot in that class that could have been filled by someone dedicated to being a soldier and an officer. Oh, wait– he might have been Jesus-obsessed. Can’t have that.

Fire away.

Comments

1. Mike Burke says:

I think you are being overly harsh here, LtCol P. She competed for admission, graduated, and served honorably in combat. I am assuming she fulfilled her five-year commitment. This is something that cannot be said of all service academy graduates–or of the vast majority of VMI graduates. Consider that most of the graduates do not make careers of the service, many (abour 25-30% when I was teaching at USMA in the 80s and 90s) are admitted mainly because they are athletes (though most athletes do stay for their five years and perform as well as any other graduate, by and large).

The real issue here is why so few academy graduates stick around after the five years are up–what is it about the system at West Point that so poorly incentivizes/inspires/prepares cadets for a career of military service? I do not know, though I have my suspicions–that somehow making a myriad pile of rules to reduce risk and let few cadets really act on their own (VMI cadets have far more latitude in running the ratline, the class system, cadet activities–they really do) teaches cadets that keeping a low profile is better than taking any kind of independent action. I often think that reducing the tactical officer staff by 50% or more would free cadets up to be on their own more–there really is too much supervision.

Further, the academic program there is intentionally designed to be consistent across 4000 people, and this challenges relatively few because so much of their coursework is chosen for them. So they are not as intellectually challenged as they could be.

Then again, if ROTC consistently produced enough officers, we would not need as large and as expensive a body of cadets. Too bad military service is not attractive to more young people.

I won't touch the Jesus-obsessed issue except to say that about 50% of the cadets are Catholic (as am I), and the cadets do have a pretty active religious program. But I will remark that Jesus-obsessed officers are not guarateed to be good leaders–my experience has been occasionally the opposite.

• DaveO says:

Have to agree, at least in part. West Point is as much about punching a ticket and making connections that will get one further ahead outside the Army, as it is about military service.

Going the distance and serving 20 years indicates one of two things: either one is so mediocre that they can't do anything else, or that one can't live without serving in the military.

2. tricycle says:

NSIB… for those who graduated circa '98-04, this was as common a tag in the bathroom stalls as the notifications of Slemp's whereabouts. In all seriousness, the policy (whether in garrison or in country) is not archaic, it is designed to facilitate readiness. This lesson, apparently, was lost on this young lady as she was apparently more interested in the pulsating testosterone walking around her rather than prosecuting war. Write your book, sweetheart, warfighters will fight the wars while y'all screw. Btw- she did seem to have extensive knowledge of all the various places one could engage in illicit activities on post. I'm half a paragraph short of declaring shenanigans on her virginity claim and making her change the name of her website.

3. Doug says:

Ms, Cannon must have been one hell of a soldier. I sure wish I had served with her. NOT!.

I have to wonder at today's generation. General Order #1 may be difficult to follow, but our West Point graduate totally misses the point of why it is needed. During her tour didn't she notice that people were trying to kill her? Wouldn't it be better to remain focused on the task at hand instead of chasing guys? I do find it interesting she never brings up the point that maybe for everyone's safety men and women should not serve together.

How about the alcohol aspect? Should troops be allowed to get drunk when off duty? I sure wouldn't mind going on a patrol the next day with some hung over fellow soldier who is looking for a place to throw up instead of an IED.

Despite all the problems facing our Army at this point, I am glad that Ms. Cannon is now spending her time writing instead of serving our country. Her abscense alone could be worth a company of troops in the field.

4. USMC Steve says:

West Point is rife with problems such as cheating on exams, which I would be a bit more concerned about than some of the inmates occassionally getting boned. The Army will be doing that to them often enough anyway. Perhaps it all goes towards integrity and strength of character, but given the mores of today's America, there are very few people going through the various service academies that can meet those standards of perfection. I would find it a lot more fucked up were an otherwise wholly satisfactory officer candidate to get tossed out for having been caught getting laid, thus wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars.

5. UltimaRatioRegis says:

Since her name is Cannon, does she consider a visit to the OBGYN being borescoped? "Doc, I need you to do a pullover gauge reading and record it here in my gun data book!"

After all the EFCs she seems to have fired, there has to be some blow-by from a lousy gas seal.

I got a million of 'em.

• redleg JO says:

and the Red Legs have been heard from. Ever hear the one about how college women are a great example of tube wear.

6. FFNA says:

You are very convincing Ms. Cannon. I also don't agree with being forced to gather for BRC and SRC, then march pointlessly down to Crozet. Let's dispense with that. Also, this thing called the Ratline is suppressing creativity. Finally, uniforms? Really? Every day? I say we have dress down Fridays. Better yet, civies every day.

7. Slater says:

West Pointers talking about anything ad nauseum hurts my brain. I went to college and you know what…I knew the rules, broke a few and sometimes got hammered. Also saw people that had SIB, were caught multiple times and they were not kicked…some because they were female and others because they were athletes. But usually they were PT Pro when that happened.

Call me a sexist or whatever, I don't want Females in combat units. When some Males can't do it, why would I want a female when an extremely small percentage of them can do what we have to do?

8. Bill Cooper says:

What is it that is periodically said at Duffel Blog: "I'll keep my unit out of women if women stay out of my unit"?

I agree with Slater, a West Pointer starts talking about "THE Academy" and my eyes glaze over.