Giving Thanks

Give thanks, today, for all that we have and all that we have been given. Dark clouds lie on every horizon, and in many ways our position seems untenable. But we have much to be thankful for. Believe in Liberty, and work for its restoration.

– George Washington’s Thanksgiving Day Proclamation.

– Speaking of Liberty, on this day was born one Eugene M. Stoner (Cpl, USMC). That’s something to be thankful for!

– And a look back at Thanksgiving, 1950.

One more reason to be thankful– tomorrow begins the authorized season of Christmas music!

Comments

1. Bill Cooper says:

LtColP, Happy Thnaksgiving to you, Townie76 ,and to the other op-for folks. I was with you on things to be thankful for until you got to the start of Christmas music season. While I truly enjoy Christmas music, if I have to hear Teresa Brewer's Rockin' Aroiund the Christmas Tree one more time,… . Less Teresa Brewer and more Mojo Nixon and the Toadsuckers Christmas music!

2. VMI Warrior says:

Apologies to Pilgrim fans, but the first recorded "Thanksgiving" in America was before Plymouth Colony was founded, at Berkeley Plantation in 1619 – "Wee ordaine that the day of our ships arrival at the place assigned for plantacon in the land of Virginia shall be yearly and perpetually keept holy as a day of thanksgiving to Almighty God."
    I concur w/ Mr. Cooper about less Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer etc., although I would prefer to hear more "Ave Maria" or my favorite "Veni, Veni Emmanuel".

3. LtCol P says:

HA! Actually I was referring to Handel's "Messiah" and the full range of classic carols, as well as a few modern favorites. I love me some "Sleigh Ride" and "Winter Wonderland."

4. AGirl says:

Hope your day was blessed!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

5. Bill Cooper says:

I am with you all on the calssic carols. I cannot hear them enough.

6. FFNA says: